The second floor will be held up by 4×12 beams spaced 24″ apart. On one end, they are supported by the girder log we installed back before we completed the roof. The other end is supported by brackets that are … Continue reading Second floor steel brackets
In Part I, I framed in the gables with 2×6 lumber and then sheathed it with 3/8″ plywood. Part II is all about the vapor barrier and the board and batten siding. The vapor barrier was harder than it looks. … Continue reading Closing in the Gables – Part II
box frame for insulation almost complete The shingle elevator was made out of wood, and it broke after the week of rain weakened it. So I welded a new one. It works better, but I’m worried about the rails it rides, which are 22 foot long 2×10’s. I’ve made a lot of progress on the roof- the frame is complete, the insulation is completely installed on both sides. I had to stop and measure how much insulation I had left- and use the hot wire foam cutter to cut the 9″ thick pieces down to size – they were too … Continue reading Roof – Part 3: Installing almost everything on the roof
I cut 6 more trees I measure trees by their diameter (straight across the butt of the log), while Julie measures the circumference (with a tape all the way around the butt of the log). Either way is fine, but since she’s picking the logs, we’re going with her measurement. The idea in the beginning was to stack logs from biggest circumference to smallest circumference. We got started on the second level, and were at a point where the circumference was about to drop below five feet. And then get skinny dramatically. There were still some big ones here and … Continue reading It’s been a weird month
The last four weeks… We spent the last four weeks burning branches, got the water hooked up, power installed: Digging 31 holes and moving the driveway I checked the weather for the second week of April – and noticed they were forecasting about a week’s worth of dry weather. If you read my last post, you know it’s been raining every 2-3 days for a month or more. So this little break meant go time. I called the excavator- he said he could come Monday. I busted my butt finishing up the last of the pier collars on Friday, but … Continue reading I messed up.
Since the beginning of this project, stuff has been breaking: Logs are too heavy, I do dumb things, money is tight, I have another job, etc. My whole life, I’ve been working in jobs where I see areas that need improvement- more efficient methods, outdated standards, etc, and every new job I get, I try to implement changes that are more efficient. I guess my whole life has been one of “process improvement”: I had this old Nissan Sentra my grandma sold me for $1.00. It had been through several cousins as a starter car. Finally came to me. One … Continue reading Stuff Breaks
Note: I meant to post this around 7/1/2016, along with a video showing how it worked. But then I had “the accident” (read about it here). I’ll post this anyway, so you can see the intent of the arch. I’m going to re-do the arch, and I’ll make a post about it when I get it done. Photos of the build last weekend (6/25/2016): One of the better welds I made…. Pretty proud of this- first time welding, had a great instructor (Ellery), who just let me go for it. It will fit on the trailer like this. From the … Continue reading 2016 July 07: Military Trailer Log Arch: Part II
I’m finally ready to tackle this log loading problem. Here’s the issue: I’m getting trees from the property next door. I’m cutting them myself, bucking them (I figured out that bucking a tree means taking off the limbs), then skidding them (dragging them) with a tractor over a small ditch and onto my property where I stack them on some sacrificial logs to keep them off the ground until I peel them. With a smaller log, the tractor can pick it up with tongs, lift it high enough to skid, and I can easily skid it and get it to … Continue reading 2016 June 24: Military trailer Log arch