RPSL’s installed

Another small milestone. Just two more logs so far, but wow, it was not easy. Background RPSL’s are Ridge Pole Support Logs- their job is to hold up the Ridge Pole (RP)- the largest, longest, straightest, heaviest log in the entire build. They are very important logs, and must have no defects and be very straight. I estimate the Ridge Pole I’m going to use to be about 5 tons (for comparison, the heaviest wall log was around 3 tons). Vertical compression strength for a 12″ log averages around 650,000 lbs (about 325 tons), whereas the horizontal strength of a … Continue reading RPSL’s installed

Finishing Foundation, Getting ready to install Lifting poles

We didn’t have any blowouts on the foundation. I waited seven days for the concrete to dry, and then I started pulling the plywood off the piers. They looked ugly: The neighbor even came over to have a look. He said, “you gotta cover those up with mortar- if water gets in there and freezes, it’ll crack your foundation. “But they’ll be under the house- and there’ll be a ten-foot wide porch to protect them,” I protested. “Doesn’t matter- humidity in the air can do it, too. The building inspector might not like ’em looking like that,” he reminded me. … Continue reading Finishing Foundation, Getting ready to install Lifting poles

Even More Committed

We could have backed out after cutting all the logs- could’ve called a logger and said, “come get ’em”. Or the water and power. But it’s getting harder each time we add something. Today, we poured concrete. Looks like we’re committed now. But I should back up a little… Where we left off In my last post, I thought it would go smoothly (why did I think that?) when I called the building inspector (BI)- after all, the city had already approved my plans, which were designed by a licensed engineer; I was following city code (minimum 12″ below frost … Continue reading Even More Committed

I messed up.

The last four weeks… We spent the last four weeks burning branches, got the water hooked up, power installed: Digging 31 holes and moving the driveway I checked the weather for the second week of April – and noticed they were forecasting about a week’s worth of dry weather. If you read my last post, you know it’s been raining every 2-3 days for a month or more. So this little break meant go time. I called the excavator- he said he could come Monday. I busted my butt finishing up the last of the pier collars on Friday, but … Continue reading I messed up.